Advanced Pack: Cards to Extend Play with Navigating The Zones
Tell us something good!
- Ages: 10+
- Format: Game
- ISBN: 9781936943524
- Published: 2018
IMPORTANT – Please Note!
This product requires the use of Navigating The Zones, sold separately.
About the Advanced Extension Pack
If you’ve been using the game Navigating The Zones, add the Advanced Pack to help more sophisticated thinkers (age 10+) further develop their problem solving and self-regulation skills. These cards introduce three additional levels of play—from cooperative to competitive game play! The Advanced Pack provides more complex and nuanced Situation and Feeling Cards and encourages more flexible, strategic thinking by introducing Wild Cards, Trade-A-Cards, and more.
Levels of Team Engagement: Use Navigating The Zones plus the Advanced Pack to access four levels of team engagement, each advancing in complexity to help students practice and develop stronger self-regulation skills as they move from cooperative to competitive game play. These levels are sequential and should be taught in order:
- Level 1. Learning through the Zones Pathway. Use Navigating The Zones. Participants become familiar with the navigation board, the basic Zones Pathway, the Situation, Feeling, and Tool cards, and actively reflect on the process of self-regulation within each Zone through the Checkpoint process. Participants work together to obtain Destination Regulation! packets.
- Level 2. Advanced situations and feelings added. Use Navigating The Zones plus the Advanced Pack. Explore the four Zones Pathways using new and more sophisticated Situation and Feeling Cards. Engagement remains cooperative.
- Level 3. Competitive game play begins. Use Navigating The Zones plus the Advanced Pack. Players now work individually to navigate the Zones Pathways and try to earn Destination Regulation! packets to win, introducing a moderate level of competition. Starter Cards are introduced: Wild Cards and Trade-A-Cards. These encourage flexibility, critical thinking, and deeper problem solving.
- Level 4. Full competitive game play. Use Navigating The Zones plus the Advanced Pack. Players practice self-regulation through strategic and competitive game play. Three new Challenge Cards are added: Stuck in Your Zone cards, STOP, OPT, and GO cards, and Pathway MY Way cards. These cards present players with advantages, unanticipated challenges, and roadblocks that require stronger self-regulation, additional thought, reading the intentions of others, and problem solving.
- 1-6 players plus an adult Facilitator
- Visual cues on cards included in Navigating The Zones (colored dots indicating possible zones; feeling illustrations) are no longer included in the Advanced Pack. Players are expected to use their social minds and problem solve in a deeper way.
- Adaptations and modifications are included to accommodate different levels of learners.
What’s in the Box
- 300 Advanced Situation Cards (100 of each: Home, School, Community)
- 100 Advanced Feeling Cards
- 40 Tool Cards (10 per Zone color)
- 30 Starter Cards
- 25 Challenge Cards
- Plastic card deck tray and labels
Requires use of Navigating The Zones, sold separately.
Explore all the resources dedicated to The Zones of Regulation in one place
Browse our dedicated Zones of Regulation page to find everything you need to help you teach The Zones of Regulation and see why this social emotional learning curriculum has been adopted across thousands of classrooms worldwide.
Recommended Teaching & Learning Pathway
If you’re looking to implement the Social Thinking Methodology, teach the following materials alongside The Zones of Regulation to help individuals communicate more effectively, socially problem solve, and ultimately—build relationships. As with our products, this Teaching & Learning Pathway is relevant to clinicians, educators, parents—anyone helping a person develop their social competencies.
- Across All Ages
- Tweens, Teens & Young Adult
Instructors: Leah Kuypers Michelle Garcia Winner
In this webinar, two powerful innovators in the areas of emotional control, sensory regulation, and executive functioning join forces to discuss the latest thinking around the Zones of Regulation, a framework and related curriculum for building self-regulation skills. Michelle Garcia Winner, founder of the Social Thinking Methodology, conducts an in-person interview with Leah Kuypers, author of The Zones of Regulation and founder of the related framework and curriculum.